Re: "information resource"

Len,

Thanks for clearing that up...

> It can clarify that the colloquial meaning is matched
> to the testable meaning in any case where the colloquialism
> confuses a user of that colloquialism.

I had read this as "the colloquialism confuses a user of the colloquialism in just those cases where the colloquial meaning matches the testable mean." Which sounded like you were having fun with us - and no harm in that. On reparsing I can see that that is *not* what you were saying at all. You were commenting on the potential utility of the colloquailism.

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>That was a thumbs up.  It notes that the colloquial term
>within the scope of the architecture has a testable meaning
>and that is the same as the test for 'information resource':
>it returns a representation.

Indeed that was the intent. I think what some others feel is lost from
the proposal I made is the notion of a class of resource which "conveys
information".

>Right? Or am I confused too?

Yes... you are right, and I was confused :-)

>I think of it in the traditional sense of "ontological
>commitment" per Thomas Gruber.
>
>"An ontology should require the minimal ontological
>commitment sufficient to support the intended knowledge
>sharing activities... Since ontological commitment is based
>on consistent use of vocabulary, ontological commitment can
>be minimized by specifying the weakest theory (allowing
>the most models) and defining only those terms which are
>essential to the communication of knowledge consistent
>with that theory."

Cool... I should read some more of him.

>len
>
>From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of
>Stuart Williams
>
>So Len... that's a thumbs down on the colloquailism?
>
>Or maybe you wanted to confuse... :-) and maybe in my case succeeded :-)

Thanks,

Stuart