RE: "information resource"

From: Bullard, Claude L (Len) <len.bullard@intergraph.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:11:38 -0500
To: 'Stuart Williams' <skw@hp.com>
Cc: "'www-tag@w3.org'" <www-tag@w3.org>

I pulled the Gruber reference from an article I wrote for the defunct MIT
Markup Languages magazine.  It referenced the following articles:

[Gruber 1993] Gruber, Thomas. "Toward Principles for the Design
of Ontologies Used in Knowledge Sharing".
http://ksl-web.stanford.edu/knowledge-sharing/papers/onto-design.rtf

[Gruber 1997] Gruber, Tom. "What is an Ontology?"
http://www-ksl.stanford.edu/kst/what-is-an-ontology.html

From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of
Stuart Williams

>I think of it in the traditional sense of "ontological
>commitment" per Thomas Gruber.
>
>"An ontology should require the minimal ontological
>commitment sufficient to support the intended knowledge
>sharing activities... Since ontological commitment is based
>on consistent use of vocabulary, ontological commitment can
>be minimized by specifying the weakest theory (allowing
>the most models) and defining only those terms which are
>essential to the communication of knowledge consistent
>with that theory."

Cool... I should read some more of him.