Re: XML Chunk Equality

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 17:36:28 -0400
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
CC: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>, www-tag@w3.org

Chris Lilley wrote:

> ERH> What's probably intended here is that languages are compared case
> ERH> insensitively within the ASCII range using English case mappings.
>
> No; what is intended here is that *language tags* are compared case
> insensitively. xml:lang="en" and xml:lang="EN" denote the same language.
> Since the intent has clearly been misunderstood, the finding should be
> clarified to say 'language tags are ...'

I'm sorry. This is relevant. First of all, language tags should but do
not have to be ISO 639 language tags. Although some early parsers were
confused about this, xml:lang="Franšais" is well-formed.

Secondly, even if we stick to ASCII this is an issue. Consider
xml:lang="it". This is the same as xml:lang="IT" when compared in an
English locale but not when compared in a Turkish locale. In Java.
"it".equalsIgnoreCase("IT") is *false* in Turkey.