Re: XML Chunk Equality

On Tuesday, October 26, 2004, 9:31:59 PM, Elliotte wrote:

ERH> The finding says:

ERH> Natural Language. The xml:lang attribute is not treated specially in
ERH> the Infoset but is intended to have a scoped effect much like the
ERH> base URI. This intention is made explicit in this specification.

ERH> I'm assume you're aware that the XInclude group is in the process of
ERH> creating a new language property for the element information item.
ERH> How does this affect the finding?

Good question. Is it scoped? Can a given element have more than one
value of this property?

ERH> "Languages are compared case insensitively."

ERH> Using what language? Case mappings are not always the same from
ERH> language to language. I is not the uppercase form of i in Turkish,
ERH> for example. xml:lang values are normally ASCII but don't have to be.

(True, but not relevant to the current finding - see below)

ERH> What's probably intended here is that languages are compared case
ERH> insensitively within the ASCII range using English case mappings.

No; what is intended here is that *language tags* are compared case
insensitively. xml:lang="en" and xml:lang="EN" denote the same language.
Since the intent has clearly been misunderstood, the finding should be
clarified to say 'language tags are ...'

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group