Re: Requesting a revision of RFC3023

From: MURATA Makoto <murata@hokkaido.email.ne.jp>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:26:15 +0900
To: ietf-xml-mime@imc.org, WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>

> Can you explain what in particular you like about the CSS
> mechanism?

I like the CSS mechanism because it appears at the very beginning.

> Do you expect that all formats would use exactly
> the same character sequence, or only that they would use
> the same structure?

An optimistic answer to the first question is yes, although it may
be more practical to provide a bit of flexibility (e.g.,   @
as well as #).  The structure and the semantics should be standardized.
At present, everything is a hopeless mess.

Although I suggested this approach, I still feel uneasy about in-band
encoding declarations.  I'm trying to generalize them only because
I believe ad-hoc mechanisms are worse.

Cheers,

Makoto