Re: The OpenURL - A Distinguished URI?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 14:48:09 -0400
To: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hp.com>, "Hammond, Tony (ELSLON)" <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>, www-tag@w3.org

Greetings,

FWIW, I believe there's at least one quite major architectural issue
with OpenURL (however, I don't think it's relevant to uri@w3.org, so
I've removed it from the CC list).

See the scenario in part 1[1], section 5 for an example.  There, a
"ContextObject" serves to, amoungst other things, provide information
necessary to augment the information that isn't provided in the doi URI
for the article.  Had the article simply been given a http URI, the
ContextObject, and the rest of the OpenURL framework, wouldn't be
required in this case.

An architectural principle (or at least I think it's a principle, as
the TAG has used the term) that's ignored there, is the principle of
late binding; that identifiers should be crafted such that they
encapsulate all the information necessary to retrieve a
representation (roughly speaking).

Just my 2c.

 [1] http://library.caltech.edu/openurl/PubComDocs/StdDocs/Part1-PC-20030513.pdf

Mark.