Re: The OpenURL - A Distinguished URI?

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:36:36 -0700
To: "Williams, Stuart" <skw@hp.com>
Cc: "'Hammond, Tony (ELSLON)'" <T.Hammond@elsevier.com>, www-tag@w3.org, uri@w3.org

Williams, Stuart wrote:

> I don't see the "direct opposition" that you claim.

I don't either.  It's been quite a while since I looked at the OpenURL
materials, but at the time it seemed like a sensible attempt to work out
a standard for querystrings that anybody could use.  While obviously
it's designed with HTTP URIs in mind, clearly nobody is suggesting that
the use of the standard become compulsory.  Those who assign URIs to
resources can choose to use this or not, and I don't think there are any
architectural problems raised.  -Tim