Re: resources and URIs

Noting your ongoing debate, I wondered if something that Dan said [1] might
be a bridge to useful progress...

At 17:51 16/07/03 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>Well, it's pretty close... try taking 'identify' to mean
>"denote in many/most useful interpretations".

and ...

At 23:34 17/07/03 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>Example1.
>
>A dog bounds into the room. Tim says, "Here, Fido!" to the dog, and says
>"Pat, meet my dog, Fido" to Pat. Tim plays with th edog. Tim asks Pat,
>"Pat, would please take Fido for a walk?"
>Pat takes the dog for a walk.  The name seems to have been unambiguously
>associated with te same dog in both there minds.

I think the point here is that the name here is associated with something
in each mind similar enough that doing the action of "taking it for a walk"
has the same observable outcome.

Fido might be interpreted to denote the dog, or to denote a collection of
fleas that live on the dog, but to take "Fido" for a walk amounts to the
same thing.

#g
--

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jul/0159.html