Re: "On the Web" vs "On the Semantic Web" (was Re: resources and URIs)

----- Original Message -----
From: "ext Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>

> ...If you get
> back a representation (with a "200 OK" response, or the corresponding
> signal in non-HTTP protocols) then clearly you're dealing with a
> response point.

Dealing with a response point, yes, but that doesn't mean the
URI *denotes* a response point.

> ... It seems
> reasonable to say that if you get a 303 response during a dereference
> attempt then the URI *does*not*denote*a*response*point*.

Or, resolution of that particular URI does not involve a
response point. But the resource denoted by that URI can
still be a WebResource and the URI can eventually, indirectly,
by redirection, resolve to a representation.

> This gives
> us a coherent universe of response points and other things (like
> chairs), without resorting to using hash marks.

Well, I see us being able to have a coherent universe without
either hash marks or having URIs denote response points
explicitly.

> For anyone about to send me an argument that one can denote a chair
> with an HTTP URI from which one can obtain "200 OK" respresentation of
> the chair, ... please be sure to explain how my user agent is supposed
> to store data about the transaction in which it obtained that
> respresentation.  Specifically, I want triples giving dc:creator
> information (or some suitable replacement predicate) about the chair
> and about the RDF/XML data about the chair which I obtained as a
> respresentation.

Specify a URI denoting the response in the response header,
which is distinct from the request URI, and provide
a description of the response according to the URI denoting
the response.

One can then provide headers which specify the URI denoting
the particular representation (resource), the session, the
particular bit stream copy returned, whatever.

HTTP already provides for some of this. Additional headers
specific to SW functionality are not hard to implement. It's
just a practical matter of standardization of those headers.

Patrick