Re: resources and URIs

>Noting your ongoing debate, I wondered if something that Dan said
>[1] might be a bridge to useful progress...
>
>At 17:51 16/07/03 -0500, Dan Connolly wrote:
>>Well, it's pretty close... try taking 'identify' to mean
>>"denote in many/most useful interpretations".
>
>and ...
>
>At 23:34 17/07/03 -0400, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
>>Example1.
>>
>>A dog bounds into the room. Tim says, "Here, Fido!" to the dog, and
>>says "Pat, meet my dog, Fido" to Pat. Tim plays with th edog. Tim
>>asks Pat, "Pat, would please take Fido for a walk?"
>>Pat takes the dog for a walk.  The name seems to have been
>>unambiguously associated with te same dog in both there minds.
>
>I think the point here is that the name here is associated with
>something in each mind similar enough that doing the action of
>"taking it for a walk" has the same observable outcome.
>
>Fido might be interpreted to denote the dog, or to denote a
>collection of fleas that live on the dog, but to take "Fido" for a
>walk amounts to the same thing.

Right, exactly.  We don't need to negotiate meanings all the way down
to a single denotation valid for all possible interpretations and all
possible purposes; only well enough for the purpose at hand ( which
might be drawing a conclusion of some kind.)

Pat

>#g
>--
>
>[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2003Jul/0159.html

>Graham Klyne
><GK@NineByNine.org>
>PGP: 0FAA 69FF C083 000B A2E9  A131 01B9 1C7A DBCA CB5E

IHMC	(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32501			(850)291 0667    cell