RE: Options for dealing with IDs

At 14:18 2003 01 07 -0800, David Orchard wrote:

>Sure XPointer looks at the infoset.  But how does the infoset get the idattr
>property?

Maybe we are discussing things on different planes.

You appear to be talking about writing code to process
XPointers by looking at raw XML.

I'm talking more about the specs.

My point is that the XPointer specs are already written
based on the infoset, and they (as specs) don't need to
care how things got into the infoset.

> If I build a streaming parser for XPointer that uses xml:idattr,

If you build something that isn't an XML parser, you're on your own.
I see no reason for W3C specs to care about that scenario.

If you build an XML parser and it doesn't provide the infoset with
the necessary values, then that parser cannot be used in applications
that require such values.  The XPointer specs right now make clear
what values they require from the infoset.  A processor that doesn't
provide the necessary infoset is not a compliant XPointer processor.

paul