RE: Options for dealing with IDs

From: David Orchard <dorchard@bea.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 14:18:26 -0800
To: <www-tag@w3.org>

Paul,

Sure XPointer looks at the infoset.  But how does the infoset get the idattr
property?  If I build a streaming parser for XPointer that uses xml:idattr,
I've got to scan every element for an idattr attribute when looking for IDs.
For example:
<myxml>
 <child1>
   <grandchild1>
     <greatgrandchild xml:idattr="name">
        <greatgreatgrandchild name="3">

I'm not saying this is an insurmountable problem.  It just is a deficiency.

Though this deficiency would be somewhat nullified if xml:base was also
adopted, as the parser has to scan for both base and idattr attributes.

Cheers,
Dave