Re: boundaries for the Web

On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 11:43, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-03-22 at 11:22, Mark Nottingham wrote:
> > It also seems perilously close to violating this constraint;
> >
> > > The TAG's scope is limited to technical issues about Web architecture.
> > > The TAG should not consider administrative, process, or organizational
> > > policy issues of W3C, which are generally addressed by the W3C Advisory
> > > Committee, Advisory Board, and Team.
>
> If the defintion is procedurally unconstrainable, I'd suggest not
> defining Web at all.

Well, that's easy. I don't think what's there is a definition
anyway:

 The World Wide Web ("Web" from here on ) is a networked
 information system consisting of clients, servers and other
 agents that interchange information. Web Architecture is the set
 of rules that all agents in the system follow that result in
 the large-scale effect of a shared information space.

  -- http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/intro.html

That puts the Web in a class which, as other folks have observed,
lots of other systems are in too. It says "the Web is *a* ..."
but then it does define Web Architecture: "Web Arch. is *the* ...".

> Just start with Web Architecture and let it be.

Are we back to where we started? Are you happy with what's written
there? Or would you prefer an explicit "NOTE: we don't define
the Web here..."?