Re: fragment identifiers

On Tuesday, July 23, 2002, at 07:07  AM, Tim Bray wrote:

>  I'm not sure about that - in *valid* HTML, in principle, a fragment
>could refer to a "portion" of the data; in real life a fragment
>seems effectively an arrow pointing at a location within the
>document... I've never seen a user agent that would process
>foo.html#bar by selecting out the element that had name="bar" or
>id="bar", only by maneuvering to where that element starts.

That's the intention for XInclude. The fragment identifier point,
which contains an XPointer, selects the portion of the document to
include and present only that. That's not a user agent, per se, so
I'm not sure if it's relevant, but it is a case where only the
fragment identified would ultimately be presented, even if the entire
document were initially loaded.