Re: httpRange-14 , what's the problem

From: Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:30:45 -0400
To: "Paul Prescod" <paul@prescod.net>, "Joshua Allen" <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
Cc: "www-tag" <www-tag@w3.org>

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Joshua Allen wrote:
> >
> > Nobody with any familiarity with RDF is asking for a way to do those
> > things, since we already know how.  Annotea, for example, is a live and
> > shipping product of W3C which allows people to publish assertions about
> > "the thirteenth character in the HTML representation", and many other
> > resource representation formats such as SVG, for that matter.
>
> Could you please enlighten me with some RDF syntax for two distinct
> statements, one about the HTML representation and one about the SVG
> representation of the same resource?
> --

First, it needs to be pointed out that the RFC 2396 definition of "resource"
and the RDF definition of resource differ in that an RDF resource may be
identified by a URI reference (i.e. URI + fragid) whereas an RFC 2396
resource is identified by a URI. But assuming that we are all talking about
the same thing ...

In RDF one may have "anonymous resources" or "b-nodes" which are identified
by a property "attached" to the resource, whereas the resource itself does
not have its own URI e.g.

(in RDF N-triples syntax a bnode is indicated by a "_" where one expects the
prefix of a QName)

<http://example.org/Person> rdf:type ex:Person .

_:a1 rdf:type ex:Representation .
_:a1 ex:media-type "text/html" .
_:a1 ex:associated-resource <http://example.org/Person> .

_:a2 rdf:type ex:Representation .
_:a3 ex:media-type "application/svg+xml" .
_:a3 ex:associated-resource <http://example.org/Person> .

so one can make statements about _:a1 which is the HTML representation of
the Person and _:a2 which is the SVG representation of the Person.

This is no problem.

Jonathan