Re: using http URIs to name IETF protocol elements [was: TB16]

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Jul 2002 15:18:30 -0400
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

On Fri, Jul 12, 2002 at 12:57:50PM -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
> Yeah, this isn't as ideal as having IANA host it themselves but I think
> it might make a good second choice.

That's a thoughtful suggestion, but it sort of defeats the point of
permitting IANA and/or the IETF to publish their own persistence policy
for the resources they publish.  Would they trust you to honour their
persistence policy?  Would the community?

If resources are an issue - and it's my information that they are, for
IANA - then how about somebody volunteer some of their time to help them
set up and maintain their servers in a Web friendly manner?  I know the
W3C is itself struggling with resources to an extent, but as an AC rep,
I'd be happy to support lending them a warm body for a week or two, plus
perhaps a small ongoing committment.  It's in everybody's interest that
this happen, IMO.

I think any request made of IETF/IANA that included a committment such
as this, would be met much more warmly than it would without it.

Just my 2c.

MB