Re: QNames and the XPointer namespace scheme

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2002 12:33:19 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org

/ "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@topologi.com> was heard to say:
| I have found another case of namespaces being declared outside the xmlns
| framework, which would go against the Qnames policy currently being flagpoled.

I think the example of the xmlns() scheme in XPointer is a bit of a
red herring. It exists because XPointers can occur in contexts outside
of an XML document (like in your browser's address bar) where there
are no in-scope namespaces.

XPointers in a document do use the in-scope namespaces. One could also
use the xmlns() scheme in those pointers (because they aren't
forbidden), but it's never necessary to do so.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM    | Time wounds all heels.