Re: Arch doc: meaning of term 'representation'?: Re: TB16 Re: Comments on arch doc draft

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 21:15:15 +0300
To: ext Jonathan Borden <jonathan@openhealth.org>, WWW TAG <www-tag@w3.org>

On 2002-07-03 20:49, "ext Jonathan Borden" <jonathan@openhealth.org> wrote:

> Patrick Stickler wrote:
>> Documentation about some resource is not an HTTP representation of
>> that resource.
> I define (HTTP) documentation of some resource precisely as such a
> representation. Perhaps this is the crux of the dispute, over how the term
> "representation" is being used? I am not saying that any representation of
> some thing _is_ that thing, rather, a text description, or a picture, or
> some other electronic representation. Are we arguing over the meaning of
> "representation" ?
> Perhaps the meaning of this term needs clarification?

From RFC 2068:

      A network data object or service that can be identified by a URI,
      as defined in section 3.2. Resources may be available in multiple
      representations (e.g. multiple languages, data formats, size,
      resolutions) or vary in other ways

      The information transferred as the payload of a request or
      response. An entity consists of metainformation in the form of
      entity-header fields and content in the form of an entity-body, as
      described in section 7.

      An entity included with a response that is subject to content
      negotiation, as described in section 12. There may exist multiple
      representations associated with a particular response status.

   content negotiation
      The mechanism for selecting the appropriate representation when
      servicing a request, as described in section 12. The
      representation of entities in any response can be negotiated
      (including error responses).

      A resource may have one, or more than one, representation(s)
      associated with it at any given instant. Each of these
      representations is termed a `variant.' Use of the term `variant'
      does not necessarily imply that the resource is subject to content

I think it's pretty clear that a textual description *about* some
resource is neither a representation nor variant of that resource.