Re: [namespaceDocument-8] RDDL wishlist

Tim Bray wrote:

> At 08:14 AM 21/02/02 -0500, Jonathan Borden wrote:
> >Patrick Sticker wrote:
> >> 1. I want to be able to use any URI whatsoever to name each
> >> RDDL resource. Not an ID. Not an http: href/URL. Any URI.
> >> Something equivalent to rdf:about.
> >
> >This is an interesting question: should a namespace document be able to
make
> >statements about URIs not within the namespace?
>
> Can you guys try again?  I'm missing the point.  The RDDL idea is
> you dereference a namespace URI to get a resource that contains
> description of the namespace as a whole, plus descriptions of
> useful resources each xlinked to the resource itself.  The
> linked-to resources can have any old kind of URI you want...
> what am I missing? -Tim

Back to the model of a namespace. A namespace as a space is a box drawn
around a set of resources. Each resource has its own URI reference, e.g.
suppose the namespace name:

http://example.org/namespace

the names 'contained' by the namespace each have names "foo" "bar" "baz"
which form the URI references:

http://example.org/namespace#foo
http://example.org/namespace#bar
http://example.org/namespace#baz

These URIs themselves identify "resources" (or "subresources" according to
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-borden-frag-00.txt)

The "references resources" are linked to each of these resources which are
contained by the namespace, not the namespace itself (which is a space).

The referenced resources are not directly contained by the namespace.

It was the confusion that the namespace were to directly contain the
_referenced_ resources that was the issue that CMSMCQ correctly pointed out
as being semantically problematic.

This is confusing in prose, but drawing out the graphs/diagrams is helpful.

Perhaps look at
http://www.openhealth.org/talks/What%20is%20a%20namespace.doc
for some thoughts on this (with some diagrams). This was derived from my
talk at Extreme Markup last August, but has undergone some revision.

Jonathan