RE: Namespace dispatching

From: Paul Grosso <pgrosso@arbortext.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 10:14:36 -0600
To: Jacek Kopecky <jacek@systinet.com>, Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: TAG <www-tag@w3.org>
At 00:53 2002 02 21 +0100, Jacek Kopecky wrote:
> Julian,
> same way:
> a) if we expect that every XHTML processor will handle XInclude,
>it's easily an XHTML document and no change need be done.

I imagine XInclude as a separate processor, but XHTML could define
a specific processing model that includes a description of how to
handle XInclude.

> b) if we expect that there will be a special XInclude processor
>preceding the XHTML processor, the document should be wrapped in
>an element like xincl:includer. This element would be removed
>(its contents being moved up one level) after processing by the
>XInclude processor.

I don't think you can require a wrapper element in general.  That
is certainly not any kind of requirement expected by Xinclude.

> There may be practical problems with nesting the tools
>(XInclude, XSLT, encryptions etc. come to mind) but I think these
>practical problems would ultimately be the result of the complex
>design of the particular application.

Yes, "nesting tools" is a complicated issue.  We had an XML Processing
Model workshop on this almost a year ago, and the issue is still open.

paul