RE: Namespace dispatching

 Julian,
 same way:
 a) if we expect that every XHTML processor will handle XInclude,
it's easily an XHTML document and no change need be done.
 b) if we expect that there will be a special XInclude processor
preceding the XHTML processor, the document should be wrapped in
an element like xincl:includer. This element would be removed
(its contents being moved up one level) after processing by the
XInclude processor.

 There may be practical problems with nesting the tools
(XInclude, XSLT, encryptions etc. come to mind) but I think these
practical problems would ultimately be the result of the complex
design of the particular application.
 I have a feeling deep inside that there may be a situation where
you would not, in fact, be able to keep the root element
indicating the current type of the document in a complex set of
transformations (XInclude processing is also a transformation),
but I cannot think of a concrete example.
 Until I see such a case where the approach of mandating that the
root identifies the document breaks things considerably, I'll
keep supporting the approach.

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   http://www.systinet.com/