Re: Summary of 8 April 2002 TAG teleconference

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:01:27 -0400
To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
cc: www-tag@w3.org
> On Tue, 2002-04-09 at 11:20, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:
>   SW: There is a tone in the IETF about trying to
>   have a mechanism to resolve URNs.
>   TBL: Yes, those people who favor URNs in the
>   IETF claim that they are building a mechanism to
>   resolve URNs. We have a working resolution
>   mechanism; building a second one is in general a
>   bad idea.
>
> Clarification request.  I assume that the URN resolution mechanism the
> IETF is building is DDDS.  What is the W3C's "working resolution
> mechanism"?

background - a fundamental assumption of the URN architecture is that
there cannot be any single resolution system for URNs - first, because
there are too many parties who will insist on controlling it (this predated
the whole IAHC / ICANN mess but we were trying to avoid the problems that
would soon plague DNS); and second, because we didn't think that any set
of resolution protocols was likely to last forever, so there would always
be a possibility of multiple resolution protocols during transition periods
even if not at other times.   hence, URNs are pure names - by design they are
fundamentally divorced from any association with a resolution protocol.

Keith