W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-svg@w3.org > March 2013

Minutes, 28 February 2013 SVG WG telcon

From: Erik Dahlstrom <ed@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2013 13:11:21 +0100
To: "www-svg@w3.org" <www-svg@w3.org>
Message-ID: <op.ws9n47k2geuyw5@gnorps>
Minutes:


     http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html


and the same as text:

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                     SVG Working Group Teleconference

28 Feb 2013

    [2]Agenda

       [2]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2013JanMar/0061.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-irc

Attendees

    Present
           +1.415.308.aaaa, Doug_Schepers, [IPcaller], ed,
           cabanier, nikos_, krit, +33.9.53.77.aabb, Tav

    Regrets
    Chair
           SV_MEETING_CHAIR

    Scribe
           cabanier, shanestephens, shepazu

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]publishing SVG2
          2. [6]referencing the HTML spec
          3. [7]text on path overflowing
          4. [8]Whitespace at end of textpath
          5. [9]html element in SVG
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <krit> cabanier: that is what I meant :P

    <trackbot> Date: 28 February 2013

    <krit> cabanier: I am

    <krit> cabanier: but no one else :P

    <cabanier> scribenick: cabanier

publishing SVG2

    ed: I sent my feedback

    … there are 'missing reference, couldn't find, etc"

    … it would be nice to fix that

    krit: that's a requirement for publishing

    ed: maybe somone should go through and see what problems there
    are

    … unless anyone objects, we should publish

    nikos: I can take an action

    ed: ok

    <scribe> ACTION: Nikos to validate the spec for lose references
    [recorded in
    [11]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-3466 - Validate the spec for lose
    references [on Nikos Andronikos - due 2013-03-07].

    <ed> see
    [12]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2013JanMa
    r/0058.html

      [12]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2013JanMar/0058.html

    ed: we need to change the appendix from svg 1.1

    … should we keep it?

    krit: I think we already resolved to do it the same as css

    ed: OK. we need another action to see what needs to be listed

    <scribe> ACTION: Nikos to see what needs to be done to update
    the appendix [recorded in
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-3467 - See what needs to be done to
    update the appendix [on Nikos Andronikos - due 2013-03-07].

    krit: you just need to check what needs to be modified

    ed: can we resolve to publish once these actions are done?

    resolution: The WG will publish the spec once action 3466 and
    3467 are done

referencing the HTML spec

    ed: is rich on the call?

    … if he want to clarify the topic

    … I was replying to his email

    krit: the HTML spec has things that we want to reference

    … it's not in the HTML5 spec so can we reference the WhatWG
    spec

    cabanier: did you look at the 5.1 spec?

    shepazu: what are you looking for?

    <krit> [14]http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-Window-20060407/

      [14] http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/WD-Window-20060407/

    krit: the section that refers to window

    ed: that is just an informative reference from the svg spec

    krit: why not normative?

    ed: there was no a window object in 1.1

    <shepazu>
    [15]http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/browsers.html#t
    he-window-object

      [15]  
http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/CR-html5-20121217/browsers.html#the-window-object

    [16]http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/browsers.html#
    the-window-object

      [16]  
http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/html/master/browsers.html#the-window-object

    <ed>
    [17]http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#InterfaceGetSVGDocum
    ent

      [17] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/struct.html#InterfaceGetSVGDocument

    ed: is there anything there in the whatwg that is not in the
    html5 spec

    krit: I don't think so

    … I will change the reference from the window spec to HTML5

    <scribe> ACTION: krit to update the spec and change the
    reference from the window spec to the HTML5 spec [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-3468 - Update the spec and change the
    reference from the window spec to the HTML5 spec [on Dirk
    Schulze - due 2013-03-07].

    <ed>
    [19]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2013JanMa
    r/0055.html

      [19]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2013JanMar/0055.html

    ed: should we go over this list?

    cabanier: maybe we should wait until he calls in

    krit: or we can discuss it on the mailing list?

    shepazu: can we discuss it on www-svg?

    ed: sure

text on path overflowing

    <ed>
    [20]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2013Feb/0053.ht
    ml

      [20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-svg/2013Feb/0053.html

    krit: text now gets clipped. sometimes that's what you want but
    sometimes not

    … but I agree with Erik's reply on the list

    ed: should we define how the text overflows?

    krit: maybe. but no magic

    ed: is that wrapping?

    krit: yes. no estimating like continuing an arc

    ed: for me, it would be fine to tie the end together. Just
    restart from the beginning

    … that would be a simple model

    krit: there are use case that the text just continues

    … if we take the last angle and continue in a straight line

    … which seemed what he asked for

    … but your suggestion sounds good too

    ed: like a 'wrapped' keyword

    … but I don't know if it makes sense to extend text overflow
    like this

    krit: I have no strong opinion on this

    ed: I think it would be fine to have a workaround for this.

    … his email states that he already is fixing it by extending
    the path. So I think it's OK to defer

    krit: that would be fine for me as wel

    resolution: defer text on a path extension to a later date

    * sure. thanks! *

    <shepazu> scribenick: shanestephens

    <shepazu> scribenick: shepazu

Whitespace at end of textpath

    <ed> [21]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=641187

      [21] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=641187

    ed: not sure how this is affected by changes we're making to
    whitespace, propose to defer until we know more about how CSS
    whitespace will affect us

    Issue: figure out how to deal with trailing whitespace in
    textpath per
    [22]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=641187

      [22] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=641187

    <trackbot> Created ISSUE-2446 - Figure out how to deal with
    trailing whitespace in textpath per
    [23]https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=641187; please
    complete additional details at
    <[24]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2446/edit>.

      [23] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=641187;
      [24] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/issues/2446/edit%3E.

    <krit>
    [25]https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi?product=SVG

      [25] https://www.w3.org/Bugs/Public/enter_bug.cgi?product=SVG

html element in SVG

    krit: discussed this at F2F, also talking about it in WebKit

    <krit>
    [26]http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/interact.html#PointerEventsPropert
    y

      [26] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/interact.html#PointerEventsProperty

    krit: pointer-events property started in SVG, implemented for
    CSS+HTML

    <scribe> … dropped from CSS UI 3

    ed: you want to add this to SVG 2?

    krit: pointer-events in all browsers, but Firefox and WebKituse
    'auto' as initial value

    … I propose for SVG that we allow 'auto' as value and use as
    initial value

    shepazu: I propose that this be done in CSS, and that it should
    be part of a larger hit-testing spec… let's not define it in
    SVG anymore

    krit: fine by me

    <ed>
    [27]http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/interact.html#PointerEventsP
    roperty

      [27]  
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGTiny12/interact.html#PointerEventsProperty

    ed: sound fine, as long as we add the SVG Tiny 1.2 property
    keyword 'boundingBox'

    shepazu: could also have alpha-based hit-testing, for games

    krit: talked about this in WebKit, expensive for us

    shepazu: more difficult still for people doing it in JS

    krit: just do it in canvas

    shepazu: then why not optimize that way in the implementation?

    krit: sure, why not?

    <scribe> ACTION: propose hit-testing/pointer-events spec to CSS
    WG [recorded in
    [28]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Error finding 'propose'. You can review and register
    nicknames at
    <[29]http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/users>.

      [29] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/WG/track/users%3E.

    <scribe> ACTION: shepazu to propose hit-testing/pointer-events
    spec to CSS WG [recorded in
    [30]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-3469 - Propose
    hit-testing/pointer-events spec to CSS WG [on Doug Schepers -
    due 2013-03-07].

    <krit> <svg><html>..html..content..</html></svg>

    <krit> <html> must have boundaries

    <krit> —> SVGHTMLElement

    shepazu: did we resolve around <svg><html>…</htlm></svg>
    without <foreignObject>?

    ed: we'd need x/y on <html>

    krit: Hixie proposed this, and said it's up to SVG WG

    <ed> also width/height

    krit: the <html> tag inside the SVG NS would be an SVG element

    <krit> It would be more like the HTMLBodyElement

    shepazu: let's take it to www-svg

    ADJOURNED

    trackbot, end telcon

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: krit to update the spec and change the reference
    from the window spec to the HTML5 spec [recorded in
    [31]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: Nikos to see what needs to be done to update the
    appendix [recorded in
    [32]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: Nikos to validate the spec for lose references
    [recorded in
    [33]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: propose hit-testing/pointer-events spec to CSS WG
    [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: shepazu to propose hit-testing/pointer-events
    spec to CSS WG [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html#action05]

    [End of minutes]
      __________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [36]scribe.perl version
     1.137 ([37]CVS log)
     $Date: 2013-02-28 21:53:44 $
      __________________________________________________________

      [36] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [37] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/

Scribe.perl diagnostic output

    [Delete this section before finalizing the minutes.]
This is scribe.perl Revision: 1.137  of Date: 2012/09/20 20:19:01
Check for newer version at [38]http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/
scribe/

      [38] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/

Guessing input format: RRSAgent_Text_Format (score 1.00)

Succeeded: s/great/ok/
Succeeded: s/ we didn't want/ there was no /
Succeeded: s/dirk/krit/g
Succeeded: s/'bounding-box'/'boundingBox'/
Succeeded: s/why optimize/why not optimize/
Found ScribeNick: cabanier
Found ScribeNick: shanestephens
WARNING: No scribe lines found matching ScribeNick pattern: <shanestephe
ns> ...
Found ScribeNick: shepazu
Inferring Scribes: cabanier, shanestephens, shepazu
Scribes: cabanier, shanestephens, shepazu
ScribeNicks: cabanier, shanestephens, shepazu
Default Present: +1.415.308.aaaa, Doug_Schepers, [IPcaller], ed, cabanie
r, nikos_, krit, +33.9.53.77.aabb, Tav
Present: +1.415.308.aaaa Doug_Schepers [IPcaller] ed cabanier nikos_ kri
t +33.9.53.77.aabb Tav
Agenda: [39]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2013JanMar
/0061.html

      [39]  
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-svg-wg/2013JanMar/0061.html

WARNING: No meeting chair found!
You should specify the meeting chair like this:
<dbooth> Chair: dbooth

Found Date: 28 Feb 2013
Guessing minutes URL: [40]http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html
People with action items: hit-testing krit nikos pointer-events propose
shepazu spec

      [40] http://www.w3.org/2013/02/28-svg-minutes.html

WARNING: Input appears to use implicit continuation lines.
You may need the "-implicitContinuations" option.



    End of [41]scribe.perl diagnostic output]

      [41] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm


-- 
Erik Dahlstrom, Core Technology Developer, Opera Software
Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
Personal blog: http://my.opera.com/macdev_ed
Received on Friday, 1 March 2013 12:11:54 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Friday, 8 March 2013 15:54:54 GMT