On Jan 16, 2013, at 4:09 AM, "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de> wrote:

> David Dailey:
>> Rather than worry about changing the spec to handle such things, I think I
>> would just use <replicate>
>>
>> http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/plastic2.svg
>> http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/plastic4.svg
>> http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/plastic7.svg
>> http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/svg/text/plastic8.svg
>>
>> The above should work everywhere
> Depending on the viewer I get different results, but no shadow at all ...

I am not sure if my second mail got through. I would rather suggest a normative reference to CSS3 Text Decorations. This spec is not limited to HTML content. IMO the reference and a sentence that the former named elements contribute to it is enough. No major spec work needed.

Replicate is not good for shadows at all beside the simple cases. Of course text shadow does not address everything that would be possible with replicate :).

Greetings
Dirk