Re: [filter-effects] color-interpolation-filters

If we do say that colors are specified in the linearRGB space, then the
color chapter (and CSS2) is incorrect.

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/color.html#ColorIntroduction says:
[[ All SVG colors are specified in the sRGB color space. ]]

The specification of color isn't an interpolation, so I'm not sure how
'color-interpolation-filters' would apply. Perhaps we need a new property
for this?

On Wed, 09 Jan 2013 10:33:12 +0100, Tavmjong Bah <tav.w3c@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not sure this is the correct thing to do. It is better, I think, to
> have consistency between the four "source" like filters and the spec for
> feTurbulence states:
>
> "The generated color and alpha values are in the color space determined
> by
> the value of property
> ‘color-interpolation-filters’<http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/painting.html#ColorInterpolationFiltersProperty>
> :"
>
> As the default color space for filters is linearRGB. It would seem a bit
> strange to not be able to define colors in linearRGB (in particular, the
> lighting filters). If you want the colors to be defined in sRGB, you can
> set 'color-interpolation-filters' to 'sRGB',
>

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 12:17 AM, Robert Longson <longsonr@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> > I assumed that feFlood would be like feTurbulence in that the values
>> are
>> defined in the color space of the filter primitive. This is what Webkit
>> is
>> doing now... but not Firefox and Opera (or Batik) which assume sRGB.
>> Whatever is done for feFlood should be also done for  feSpecularLighting
>> and feDiffuseLighting. For feDiffuseLighting, both Firefox and Chrome
>> use
>> the color space of the filter primitive while Opera assumes sRGB. There
>> is
>> no consistency at all for feSpecularLighting.
>>
>> I'll raise a bug for Firefox to change feSpecular and
>> feDiffuseLighting to be sRGB.
>>
>> Robert

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group