De: "Cameron McCormack" <cam@mcc.id.au>
À: "SVG public list" <www-svg@w3.org>
Envoyé: Samedi 26 Mai 2012 09:26:54
Objet: marker improvements

I've added some of the marker improvement proposals that we discussed
recently to the spec, although I have changed them a bit.  Instead of
extending marker-mid to allow specifying a pattern of markers to place
along the path, not at vertices, I added a separate property for this.
I also added a separate property for markers at the centre of path
segments.  marker-start, marker-mid and marker-end remain unchanged.

marker-segment:

   https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/painting.html#SegmentMarkers

marker-pattern:

   https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/painting.html#RepeatingMarkers

The expanded marker shorthand that allows setting marker-{start,mid,
end,segment,pattern} at once, with different values:

   https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/painting.html#RepeatingMarkers

There's some updated text at the start of the section with an overview
of the different types of markers:

   https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/painting.html#Markers

I extended the <marker> element like we discussed to allow it as a child
of a <path> etc. element.  That's a "positioned marker".

For setting back the stroke to allow better arrowheads, and to have say
circular hollow markers without the stroke showing through, I added a
half baked proposal to stimulate some discussion:

   https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/painting.html#MarkerKnockout

Look at the image for an overview without having to read all that dense
text in there.

I went a bit crazy on the shapes, perhaps, but the key thing I was
trying to avoid was allowing a generic path to be specified, since that
would require some difficult intersection checking.  At least with these
predefined shapes the number of edges to check for intersections is low
and known.

But as I mention in the ISSUE in that section, using this feature for
some cooler looking dash patterns (dashes looking like chevrons for
example) you probably want to put the two sides of the shape at
different orientations along the path, and that again requires more
difficult shape/intersection calculations.

Anyway, comments welcome.