Drop SVGPaint and CSS color keywords (was Re: what to do with the color-profile property, element and at-rule?)

From: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 20:13:46 -0700
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
CC: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>

On May 26, 2012, at 7:46 PM, Cameron McCormack wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> In SVG 1.1, we have:
>
> * the @color-profile at-rule, which lets you reference an ICC colour
>   profile, give it a name, and select a rendering intent to use;
>
> * the <color-profile> element, which is just a markup version of the
>   @color-profile at-rule;
>
> * the 'color-profile' property, applicable on <image> elements,
>   which lets you reference by name a particular color profile that has
>   been defined with @color-profile or <color-profile>.
>
> The at-rule and property were defined in the 2003 Candidate
> Recommendation of css3-color, but were dropped when the Recommendation
> was published.  Is there any plan to reintroduce these into a
> css4-color, which we could then reference, or should our definitions
> remain in SVG?

This topic reminds to ask two other things.

First, do we want to remove the section about color keywords and reference to the keywords from CSS3 Color instead? [1][2]

Second, do we want to drop the SVGPaint interface now? It is already deprecated in SVG1.1SE with a note that it may be dropped from future versions. [3]

Greetings,
Dirk

[1] https://svgwg.org/svg2-draft/types.html#ColorKeywords
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-color/#svg-color