handling XLink deprecation

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 14:45:59 +1000
To: SVG public list <www-svg@w3.org>
I am not sure if we have resolved exactly how we will handle the XLink
deprecation.  If we have, please feel free to remind me what we decided. :)

But I propose we:

* remove xlink:actuate, xlink:type, xlink:role, xlink:arcrole and
xlink:title altogether

* change xlink:href to href for: <a>, <altGlyph>, the animation
elements, <color-profile>, <filter>, <font-face-uri>, <glyphRef>,
gradient elements, <mpath>, <pattern>, <textPath>, <tref> and <use>

* change xlink:href to src for: <cursor>, <feImage>, <image> and <script>

* change xlink:show to target on <a>, and not allow it on any other element

* make the new attributes take precedence over the old ones, in case
both are specified

And for the moment, until we decide what to do with our more general DOM

* have the "href" IDL attributes reflect xlink:href or href or src as
appropriate (per the precedence rule above) as an SVGAnimatedLength

* introduce an

     attribute DOMString src;

on the interfaces for <cursor>, <feImage>, <image> and <script> and have
it just reflect the base value.