From: Cameron McCormack [mailto:cam@mcc.id.au]
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2012 12:46 AM
To: SVG public list
Subject: handling XLink deprecation

I am not sure if we have resolved exactly how we will handle the XLink deprecation.  If we have, please feel free to remind me what we decided. :)

But I propose we:

* remove xlink:actuate, xlink:type, xlink:role, xlink:arcrole and xlink:title altogether

* change xlink:href to href for: <a>, <altGlyph>, the animation elements, <color-profile>, <filter>, <font-face-uri>, <glyphRef>, gradient elements, <mpath>, <pattern>, <textPath>, <tref> and <use>

* change xlink:href to src for: <cursor>, <feImage>, <image> and <script>

* change xlink:show to target on <a>, and not allow it on any other element

* make the new attributes take precedence over the old ones, in case both are specified

And for the moment, until we decide what to do with our more general DOM
improvements:

* have the "href" IDL attributes reflect xlink:href or href or src as
appropriate (per the precedence rule above) as an SVGAnimatedLength

* introduce an

     attribute DOMString src;

on the interfaces for <cursor>, <feImage>, <image> and <script> and have
it just reflect the base value.