Re: SVG Feature Request: Toggle text selection sensitivity

From: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2011 05:22:57 +1200
To: Rick <graham.rick@gmail.com>
Cc: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>, www-svg@w3.org
Rick:
> So, this is an answer, and it invalidates the problem presented by my
> use case.  I'm straining my brain to think of a case where it wouldn't
> suffice.  No luck.

I think there are certainly situations where you want to have some text
that responds to pointer events but not by performing selection.  The
usual way people solve this is to set pointer-events="none" on the text
element and place an invisible rectangle above/below it to capture the
mouse events.  This isn’t ideal because you do not always know how big
the text will be, depending on font fallback and so on.

--
Cameron McCormack ≝ http://mcc.id.au/