Re: letter-spacing with text-anchor middle

On Fri, 2010-07-09 at 14:40 +0100, Robert Longson wrote:

> The example is wrong. I would like to see something clearer in the
> specification about the difference between font-size="10" as an
> attribute which is OK and style="font-size: 10" (or in a style sheet)
> which is CSS and therefore falls under the CSS specification and is
> not OK.

I am confused again!! The <length> entry in "4.2 Basic data types"
states:

"For properties defined in CSS2 [CSS2], a length unit identifier must be
provided. For length values in SVG-specific properties and their
corresponding presentation attributes, the length unit identifier is
optional. If not provided, the length value represents a distance in the
current user coordinate system. In presentation attributes for all
properties, whether defined in this specification or in CSS2, the length
identifier, if specified, must be in lower case."

My interpretation of this is that since "font-size" is a CSS2 property
(see 6.1) it must have a unit regardless of where it is defined while
"stroke-width" is an SVG only property so it must have a unit only when
defined in a CSS style sheet or the style attribute.

      Tav