Draw curve by giving a mathematical function (feature request)

From: Tamás Laiszner <laisznertamas@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:09:38 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org
Hi!

I think it would be very useful if there were an opportunity to draw a curve
by giving directly a mathematical (or ECMAScript) function. Maybe the
ECMAScript Math object could be a good base to implement this. My opinion is
that it would have some really positive effects. I imagine it like this:

<funcCoordSystem>
    <func f="Math.sin(x)" d="(-2 * Math.PI; 2 * Math.PI)" />
    <func f="Math.cos(x)" d="(-2 * Math.PI; 2 * Math.PI)" />
</funcCoordSystem>

This is only a draft to show what I mean exactly. In this example the func
element has 2 arguments:

f - the function itself, given by a correct ECMAScript which could be
interpreted even by using the eval() function
d - the domain of the function

(Of course also the funcCoordSystem element representing the coordinate
system should have some arguments, for example the coordinates of the
origin, minX, maxX, minY, maxY values.)

Thanks,
Tamás Laiszner