Re: Draw curve by giving a mathematical function (feature request)

From: Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 16:49:01 +0100
To: www-svg@w3.org, codedread@gmail.com, laisznertamas@gmail.com
Jeff Schiller:
>I think this isn't in the domain of SVG.  I think this is
>more the domain of a scripting library like JSXGraph:
>
>http://jsxgraph.uni-bayreuth.de/wp/

I think, the general problem with such scripting 'solutions'
is, that they are not really accessible - and without
scripting there is no relevant content.
The better approach - server sided scripting
(with PHP for example) is better for the final result,
but not for data exchange.

Exchange of information is a general problem for
both scripting solutions. If an author needs to say:
'This is the function or these are the data
and this is the presentation.' there is a clear
requirement for a declarative method.
And declarative and accessible graphical
information is the core domain of SVG ;o)
Scripting my provide additional decorative effects,
but the core information should be notable in
a declarative way, else the document contains
no information at all.

And of course for more graphical oriented authors
scripting both with ecma-script or PHP is not
really an attractive simple solution for the
seemingly simple desire to get a graphical
presentation of a formula or a data set.

Olaf