Re: More Ideas around DOM Constructors

Hi, Steve-

Steve Withall wrote (on 11/27/09 6:05 PM):
> At 27/11/2009 06:28 PM, Doug Schepers wrote:
>>
>>> Or perhaps the reliance on the XLink namespace is going away ?
>>
>> I would like to move away from the use of the XLink NS, since the
>> promise of the XLink spec never really materialized. There are
>> complications, but I think we can do it.
>
> Is that why you don't use the standard xlink:href attribute in your
> Parameters specification? :)

Hmmm... I don't *not* use XLink in Params... in the examples where I use
a param() to set a URL, I do use @xlink:href.

I'm not sure where else you would expect to use XLink in Params... it's
a simple name-value pair that's passed in from a URL or another
document, I don't see where XLink is relevant there.

> XLink may not have lived up to expectations, but at least it's familiar
> and everyone knows where they stand with it. I suggest continuing to use
> it where appropriate unless there's a good reason not to.

There is a good reason to discontinue its use in SVG: it complicates
implementation and authoring without adding clear benefits.

I love the idea of arcs and of extended links where there are multiple
destination locations that a user chooses from when they activate a
link, but it's not specified in enough detail to be interoperably
implemented, and in any case, SVG only uses that subset of linking
functionality that is roughly equivalent to HTML links, so unless we
expand SVG's linking abilities in a manner defined by XLink (rather than
some alternate new way), I'm not sure it's worth the added complexity.

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Team Contact, SVG and WebApps WGs