Re: text/html for html and xhtml

From: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 11:47:29 -0400
To: whatwg@whatwg.org, public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org, www-svg@w3.org

Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU> writes:

>> So user agents need to learn how to recognize the good and the bad
>> in both mimetypes.
>
> Recognize and do what with it?
>
>> Otherwise you have Gresham's Law: the bad documents will drive out the
>> good.
>
> Perhaps you should clearly state your definitions of "bad" and "good"
> in this case?  I'd also like to know, given those definitions, why
> it's bad for the "bad" documents to drive out the "good", and how you
> think your proposal will prevent that from happening.

"Good" and "bad" here apply to document instances.  "Good" means
compliant xhtml+(mathml|svg)*; "bad", as I casually used it, means
other.  My only point is that a user agent should parse as xml a
document whose preamble indicates xhtml even when the mimetype is
text/html.  Or, if that is too hard or too politically difficult,
going forward the WG should provide a formula for the front of a
document that asks for an xhtml parse.

                                    -- Bill