Re: text/html for html and xhtml

From: j.j. <moz@jeka.info>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 18:50:27 +0200
To: William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu>
Cc: public-html@w3.org, www-math@w3.org, www-svg@w3.org

William F Hammond <hammond@csc.albany.edu> hodd gsachd:

> My only point is that a user agent should parse as xml a
> document whose preamble indicates xhtml even when the mimetype is
> text/html.  Or, if that is too hard or too politically difficult,
> going forward the WG should provide a formula for the front of a
> document that asks for an xhtml parse.

Such a "mode switch" had to be backwards compatible. Non supporting
UAs must display nothing useful. Something like this hurts all current
standards, but works nice in all major web browsers:

<plaintext xhtml>

(Current browsers just display the source code of the following
document, if served as text/html.)

j.j.