Re: SVGT1.2: The <style> element

From: Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 12:10:35 +0100 (BST)
To: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann wrote:

> What I'm missing in the tiny profiles is
> the class attribute. As in (X)HTML this
> is pretty useful to add some semantic
> hints, if no specific element with the
> related semantic meaning is available.
> But this is just a little bit related and
> maybe this one was removed, because
> many people think, the class attribute is
> closely related to styling and not to
> semantics.

The class attribute is part of SVGT 1.2, see

http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/attributeTable.html#AttributeTable

I also find class to be useful for creating rich web applications,
e.g. for a slide presentation, class makes it easy for the
associated script to distinguish which g elements are intended as
slides. The XHTML role attribute provides for a more robust solution
and would be a valuable addition to future versions of SVGT.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-role/