Re: specificity, user style sheets and SVG

Well it did work in Safari Webkit :-) but I was saving that....

I'm really more concerned with user testing before standards are
released.
Where is the evidence that users were involved in tests that helped
produce standards.
this subject is but one example....

If one considers the difference between searching in print and using
a computer screen there's evidently plenty of research possible.
Given the large number of companies involved....

perhaps you can point me to some user testing that backed the
decisions arrived at?

User style sheets never really caught on, but why is that?
Home interiors are usually quite personal. When searching for basic
factual information, it would seem the 'costs' aren't high, and the
benefits to the supplier in entering a personal space immense.

cheers

Jonathan Chetwynd

On 9 Feb 2007, at 17:19, Boris Zbarsky wrote:

Jonathan Chetwynd wrote:
> however using a user style sheet:
> :link, :visited { text-decoration: underline ! important }
> this worked well with many html pages, however with svg it appears
> it may not for Opera, Amaya and Camino

Did it work in an _author_ stylesheet?  In released Gecko versions
this wouldn't work for SVG in _any_ stylesheet.  Nothing specific to
user stylesheets.

> I often get things wrong, but if right, it does seem as this is a
> fairly basic failure to implement a standard.

Those happen, sure.  They don't necessarily indicate that the
standard has a problem, though if everyone is getting it wrong that's
a hint, of course.  ;)

-Boris