Re: SVGT 1.2: A proposal for how to define SVG whitespace in terms of CSS whitespace

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 00:05:56 -0800
Cc: www-svg@w3.org
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>

On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:38 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> * Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>> Well, we should either deprecate it for all XML content or for no
>>> XML
>>> content, having xml:space a little bit deprecated in some cases
>>> is not
>>> a good idea.
>>
>> For most XML content it has no presentational or semantic effect, so
>> it doesn't much matter. I refer specifically to deprecating its use
>> for a presentational effect. But even just defining it in terms of
>> properties would be great. I am hoping someone from the CSS WG
>> comments on this.
>
> "A special attribute named xml:space MAY be attached to an element to
> signal an intention that in that element, white space should be
> preserved by applications"; it would seem the most natural way for a
> rendering software module to convey this intention is through some
> presentational effect...

Well, XHTML, MathML, and CSS as applied to an arbitrary XML
application all failed to interpret it this way. Do you know of any
w3c language besides SVG that interprets it to have a presentational
effect?

Personally, I interpret it as meaning that whitespace should be
preserved textually, for example in the DOM, or if you read a
document and serialize it back. I did not read it to imply some
unspecified presentational effect, since XML does not specify
anything about presentation. Given how vague and ambiguous this
language is, it seems like a bad idea to rely on it having a specific
meaning.

Regards,
Maciej