Re: SVGT 1.2: A proposal for how to define SVG whitespace in terms of CSS whitespace

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Robin Berjon wrote:

> > On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> > I don't understand what this means. Since SVG 1.2 has no DTDs, it can't
> > default attributes
>
> Yes it can. This is exactly as hard as saying "when the value is not
> present the UA must treat it as if it were 'foo'". Note that this is
> different from defaulting attributes in the DOM.

Sorry, I meant, it can't default XML's attributes. The XML spec says what
it means to not give the attribute, and what it means to give the
attribute with the value "preserve" or the value "default". If the SVG
spec changes this, then it is no longer possible to use an off-the-shelf
XML parser to process SVG, and the whole point of using XML is lost.
(Currently the spec is ok in this regard for xml:space, it seems.)

(By asking that this be taken as last-call feedback I merely meant that
should be considered in the context of Maciej's suggestion, sorry for any
confusion caused.)