Re: SVGT 1.2: A proposal for how to define SVG whitespace in terms of CSS whitespace

On Jan 30, 2006, at 3:34 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:

> (SVGWG, please consider this one of my last call comments.)
>
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2006, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>
>> Here's my proposal for how to change this.
>>
>> * The default setting for xml:space for SVG elements is "preserve".
>
> I don't understand what this means. Since SVG 1.2 has no DTDs, it
> can't
> default attributes, and XML 1.x provides no other mechanism for
> changing
> the "default setting" of its attributes. (By default, xml:space is
> not set
> on any elements, and inherits.)
>
> What you probably want to say is just that "all whitespace in the
> markup
> must be preserved during parsing", without reference to xml:space
> at all.
>
> Note that in existing XML parsers in Web UAs, xml:space has no effect,
> because the default value (unspecified), the "default" value, and the
> "preserve" value, all have the same effect. It would be extremely
> bad for
> the SVG specification to require that XML parsers be aware of the SVG
> namespace when creating the DOM.

I that case, here's some alternate proposals:

A) When xml:space is not specified, the document should be preserve
all whitespace, and in general act as specified for
xml:space="preserve".

B) SVG could add a DTD or some other mechanism to set a default value
for the attribute.

C) If xml:space="default" is defined to not modify the text in the
DOM but only apply styling, then there is no need to set a default
value or define what any of the values do to parsing.

Regards,
Maciej