Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Too many issues (again)

I think I understand what a spec is. But the goal is not to release a
spec for the sake of releasing a spec. The goal is to release a spec
that will be used by implementors on mobile devices. Right now, some
of the major implementors of SVG on mobiles have already implemented
SVG-T 1.2. Holding on on the release of the spec is only helping to
kill SVG.

The choice is not release now in a non-perfect state or release later
when everybody will be happy with every word. The choice is release
now and start releasing the implementation, or release later in a
desert.

I realize that the situation is different on the desktop, where most
players are still catching up with SVG 1.1. But this is not a valid
reason to kill SVG where it is successful right now.

Marc

On Feb 1, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2006, at 3:58 PM, Marc Verstaen wrote:
>

>> Considering the number of implementations for SVG-T 1.2 already
>> available, I
>> am not this proves anything about the specs of SVG-Tiny 1.2. We
>> are not
>> talking about SVG 1.2 here...
>
> The goal is not to have just any implementations but fully
> interoparable implementations that meet the conformance
> requirements of the spec. Without a thorough test suite, there's no
> evidence that this is the case. And there are known ambiguities and
> contradictions in the latest Last Call draft.
>
> Furthermore, if the spec requires things that are contrary to other
> specs, it means certain classes of implementations (those that also
> support other specs) cannot possibly be interoperable.
>
> Therefore, rushing the spec as-is will not be an aid to
> interoperability. If some implementations can have de facto
> interoperability that is nice, but we should not lock in a spec
> that actually could actually harm interoperability.
>
> Regards,
> Maciej

Marc Verstaen
CEO - Beatware Inc.