Re: [SVGMobile12] SVGT12-207: Too many issues (again)

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 10:21:31 -0800
Cc: www-svg@w3.org, "'Bjoern Hoehrmann'" <derhoermi@gmx.net>
To: marc@beatware.com

On Jan 31, 2006, at 3:58 PM, Marc Verstaen wrote:

> Considering the number of implementations for SVG-T 1.2 already
> available, I
> am not this proves anything about the specs of SVG-Tiny 1.2. We are
> not
> talking about SVG 1.2 here...

The goal is not to have just any implementations but fully
interoparable implementations that meet the conformance requirements
of the spec. Without a thorough test suite, there's no evidence that
this is the case. And there are known ambiguities and contradictions
in the latest Last Call draft.

Furthermore, if the spec requires things that are contrary to other
specs, it means certain classes of implementations (those that also
support other specs) cannot possibly be interoperable.

Therefore, rushing the spec as-is will not be an aid to
interoperability. If some implementations can have de facto
interoperability that is nice, but we should not lock in a spec that
actually could actually harm interoperability.

Regards,
Maciej