Re: Accessibility in SVG

At 10:29 AM 9/17/2005, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>Quoting Jon Ferraiolo <jonf@adobe.com>:
>>[...]
>
>Thanks for clearing up the thing regarding coordination between the working
>groups.
>
>The problem with unitless length "within SVG context" is that CSS does not
>solely apply to SVG, yet you want to use a single parser. It gets even more
>complicated in compound documents. Also, the CSS WG has its own ideas with
><number>. See for example
><http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-css3-box-20021024/#the-width>. Therefore I think
>they consider it to be unacceptable for other WGs to extend their language in
>such a drastic way.
>
>The SVG WG could have required units in CSS context and let authors omit
>them in
>the presentational XML attribute equivalents of those properties. This might
>still be a possibility as I heard multiple claims that no-one uses CSS
>with SVG
>anyway and quite a few people using SVG rather saw CSS to be deprecated...

Anne,
The above paragraph definitely is one option to consider as the CDF working
group works through the integration issues between XHTML, CSS and SVG.
However, it isn't my favorite option. As best I can determine, it does not
help implementers at all (SVG implementers or XHTML+CSS implementers). The
XML attributes in SVG were designed to accept the exact same syntax as the
corresponding properties within CSS stylesheets or the 'style' attribute so
that SVG viewers would only have to define a single parser for all possible
ways of specifying a given property. In terms of the CSS cascade model, the
XML attributes are defined as an author stylesheet where all of the
specified values are assigned a specificity of zero. In my assessment, the
sole merit of this option is that the CSS guys feel that they have achieved
victory within a silly war of egos, but I do not see any benefit to
implementers or end users, but perhaps I am not seeing a good technical
reason why this option is a good one.

Jon