CSS In SVG (was: Accessibility in SVG)

From: Doug Schepers <doug@schepers.cc>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 14:28:51 -0400
To: "'Anne van Kesteren'" <fora@annevankesteren.nl>, "'Jon Ferraiolo'" <jonf@adobe.com>
Cc: <www-svg@w3.org>

Hi, Anne-

| Thanks for clearing up the thing regarding coordination
| between the working groups.

No offense, but I think that Jon didn't so much clarify the issue as correct
your unsupported claim. Is this actually a common belief in CSS circles, or
were you simply making an assumption?

| The problem with unitless length "within SVG context" is that
| CSS does not solely apply to SVG, yet you want to use a
| single parser.

Only in the case where a UA decides to implement both HTML and CSS.

| Therefore I think they consider it to be unacceptable for
| other WGs to extend their language in such a drastic way.

Given Jon's very reasonable and logical explanation for unitless values, I
am a bit surprised that the CSS WG is unwilling to consider the needs of
non-HTML markup languages, such as SVG. It gets even more complicated in
compound documents, where CSS has its own ideas about how objects are shaped
(which is always like a rectangle).

| This might still be a possibility as I heard multiple
| claims that no-one uses CSS with SVG anyway

I have never heard this claim, and I pay close attention to the SVG
community. Many people use CSS with SVG. Classes and selectors are
considered very useful by some people.

| and quite a few people using SVG rather saw
| CSS to be deprecated...

Please don't politically conflate the SVG users with the SVG WG. I am a
user, and my views on CSS do not necessarily reflect those of the SVG WG. In
fact, I believe that Jon sees CSS as an integral part of SVG in the CDF
context.

Clearly, I am a focused on SVG and therefore biased, just as you are focused
on CSS and similarly biased, but I think we should both try to understand
the perspective of the other. Don't get me wrong, I have used and will use
CSS extensively with HTML; I don't think it's bad, I just don't think it
fits with SVG.

Regards-
Doug

doug . schepers  @ vectoreal.com