Re: [SVGMobile12] Comments: Basic Data Types and Color Keywords

From: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 19:47:34 +0100
To: mental@rydia.net
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

On Tuesday, November 29, 2005, 7:15:50 PM, mental wrote:

mrn> Quoting Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>:

>> Well, I could invite you to try implementing SVG where fixed,
>> real-world units like mm and in can be mixed with lengths in a
>> coordinate system, and then try to implement a nested
>> transformation coordinate system. But people already tried that
>> early in the 1.0 timeframe.

mrn> Wouldn't it make sense to make the "real-world" units subject to the
mrn> coordinate system transformations as well?  or does CSS prohibit
mrn> that?

Well, that is what we ended up doing later in the development of SVG 1.0
- making a one-time mapping from the real world lengths and the
coordinate system. This greatly reduces complexity. But it also means
that one em or one px can end up with some very strange values after
transformation.

At the end of the day, for scalable grsaphics, the scalable lengths are
the most useful and the most device-independent ones.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead
 Co-Chair, W3C Hypertext CG