Re: [SVGMobile12] Comments: Basic Data Types and Color Keywords

From: <mental@rydia.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:58:45 -0500
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: www-svg@w3.org

Quoting Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>:

> Well, that is what we ended up doing later in the development of
> SVG 1.0 - making a one-time mapping from the real world lengths
> and the coordinate system. This greatly reduces complexity. But
> it also means that one em or one px can end up with some very
> strange values after transformation.

Hmm, em and en would need to be treated differently than e.g. px or
mm, wouldn't they?  IIRC, em/en should depend on the local value of
the various font-* properties, as well as the coordinate system.

Specifying the size of a rectangle in mm doesn't make so much sense,
but doing so in em maybe...

Of course, that still doesn't address the issue of not being able to
use units with <path>.  Don't think I'd want to augment the SVG path
grammar, but if units were otherwise kept, width= and height=
attributes would be nice.

-mental