Request for Future Feature: Star Element

From: Doug Schepers <doug@schepers.cc>
Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 13:00:19 +0200
To: <www-svg@w3.org>
Cc: "'Jerrold Maddox'" <jxm22@email.psu.edu>

Hi, WG-

This is not meant as a LC comment, but as a request for a later version of
SVG. If it were adopted in SVG 1.2, though, I wouldn't object.

There have been many requests on the svg-dev list for a regular polygon, and
I made a proposal for how it might be implemented:

http://www.svg-whiz.com/experiments.html#basicShapes

But ignore that, I came up with a better one! It would allow users to create
a wide variety of regular polygons and stars, using 2 radii and the number
of points in the polygon. It would be very simple for implementors to do, as
demonstrated by the fact that I implement it in EcmaScript as a kluge. You
can see the explanation and the rendering here:

http://www.svg-whiz.com/experiments.html#stars

It's shiny and fun. Please take a look and think about it. I won't belabor
the explanation here, but a sample element would look like:

<star id='pentagram' cx='300' cy='100' r='40' r2='20' points='5'
orient='point'/>

Thanks-
-Doug