Re: SVG 1.2 Last Call Comments

* Ian Hickson wrote:
>Please drop the entire spec and work on a decent test suite for SVG 1.1
>first. SVG 1.1 interoperability is very poor. There are entire areas of
>SVG 1.1 where there is so little interoperability that it is beyond me how
>SVG 1.1 managed to exit the CR stage.

I do not think that interoperability of the existing feature set should
be the only concern of the Working Group. If there are ever going to be
new or re-designed features in SVG, it is also important that creating
these is not left to implementers but that these are developed in a way
that maximizes the consensus around them as that would help to improve
the quality of the design, to sort out possible intellectual property
issues, and (thus) enable interoperability. It is not going to help SVG
interoperability much if implementers come up with incompatible,
competing SVG extensions and it seems foolish to think that implementers
wait a years for the SVG Working Group to meet their customer's demands.

Further, SVG is not a monopoly in its domain, there are competing
technologies and not responding to market demands risks that vendors and
content providers choose different technologies possibly rendering the
Working Group's efforts on SVG 1.1 interoperability irrelevant and most
certainly hindering SVG's adoption, neither of which seems desirable to
me. I would appreciate if you could make a proposal on how the SVG WG
should proceed while mitigating these risks. If your point is that
people are wrong in wanting most of these new features, I would also
appreciate if you could propose viable alternate solutions that these
people should want instead.