SVG 1.2 Last Call Comments

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 22:05:25 +0000 (UTC)
To: www-svg@w3.org

Here are my last call comments for SVG 1.2.

Please drop the entire spec and work on a decent test suite for SVG 1.1
first. SVG 1.1 interoperability is very poor. There are entire areas of
SVG 1.1 where there is so little interoperability that it is beyond me how
SVG 1.1 managed to exit the CR stage.

SVG 1.2 adds an insane number of new features that have nothing to do with
graphics, such as raw socket connections, flowing text, mouse events,
audio interfaces, and so forth. Many of these are redundant with existing
specifications and de-facto standards such as HTML, CSS, or
XMLHttpRequest. It is IMHO inappropriate for a graphics working group to
put forward such features for standardisation.